Because Wests is a great club…
- Low registration fees with socks and shorts included
- Focus on the kids enjoying sport
- Relaxed family atmosphere at games with BBQ
- Backpack and football for FREE up to u9s
- Two dedicated AFL grounds with canteen and facilities
- Playing jerseys provided FREE of charge
- Free gear bag, training shirt, polo shirt, jacket (if team is sponsored)
- Wests has it’s own licensed club with monthly kids disco, event rooms, family restaurant, venue for Cooks River Markets
- Free polo shirts for volunteer coaches and managers
- All age groups up to u12s play at same venue (in most cases)
Because AFL is a great game for kids
- AFL has a range of skills easily transferred to other sports
- AFL trains all players to use all skills involved in kicking, catching, and running
- Modified rules for juniors that teach skills and are safe and fair
- All players play in all positions (up to u12s) regardless of ability
- Even team numbers (clubs with more players share their players)
Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club are based at Picken Oval in Croydon Park. On 3 May 2008 the new Amenities Block at Picken Oval was opened by the Mayor of the City of Canterbury, Councilor Robert Furolo. The day also featured the return of the Western Suburbs Magpies Seniors to Picken Oval after 30 years. Since then the ground has been re-developed including drainage, in-ground irrigation and a smart water facility. As a result of this work, AFL returned to Picken Oval in 2011.
The Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club also use Wagener Oval in Ashbury – primarily as a training venue, as well as for some home and away and finals matches.
Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club’s vision is to be the best junior club in Australia where players can develop their skills and make friends in a positive and fun environment under the guidance of experienced coaches. Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club is both a vital part of the Inner West community and provides a pathway to seniors football at the Western Suburbs Magpies and AFL teams.
Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club are proud of our players who have gone on to play AFL – including Paul Bevan (Sydney Swans), Greg Stafford (Sydney Swans and Richmond), Greg Sharpe (Carlton & St.Kilda) and Arthur Chillcott (Sydney Swans).
The club has Auskick (from age 5) to u17 teams in the Sydney Harbour competition.
In 2016, 4 teams made the finals with U11s making the grand final.
In 2015, the U15s made it three in a row and the U12s were runners-up.
In 2014 the U14s won their grand final, repeating their achievement from the previous year as U13s. The U11s, U13s, U15s and U17s all made the finals.
In 2011, the U10s finished 3rd in the Gala Series, the U11s second, the U13s and U14s won grand finals, and the U16/1s and U16/3s played finals.
Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club has a dedicated committee with meetings the first Monday of every month.
The current President is Brian Nieser.
Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club is fortunate to have experienced and skilled coaches and a great group of team managers.
Team sponsorship was instigated in 2007 – with sponsors promoted on the website and at games.
Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club have been fortunate to secure a number of grants including NSW Department of Family and Community Services Volunteer Small Equipment Grants and in 2004 the Paul Bevan Rising Star Club Recognition Award.
Each season Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club gains a number of positive stories in the local media on its achievements.
Western Suburbs Junior Australian Football Club has a comprehensive first aid kit and various people with first aid certificates at home games.